Did you know that drinking only juices to lose weight instead of whole fruits is one of the most common mistakes made when trying to lose weight? Fruit juices are very healthy, but if you focus only on these you will not achieve very good results: liquid calories do not influence the brain’s appetite center like solid foods.
Juices to Lose Weight Vs. Whole Fruits, Pro and Cons
We will not tire of insisting on the importance of fruits and vegetables in the diet. In fact, dietary guidelines designed by the Spanish Society of Community Nutrition, advise consuming five servings of vegetables per day in the form of fruits and vegetables. However, for many people it is easier to consume liquefied or processed vegetables and advertising offers us a number of devices designed to juice all kinds of fruits and vegetables.
On the other hand, smoothies or “smoothies” have become very popular to consume in bars and restaurants or in your own home. One of the advantages of juices to lose weight is that the shakes allow combining many vegetables such as fruits and vegetables taking advantage of the best properties of each of them to combat excess weight. Another advantage is that more concentrated nutrients are obtained, since most of the vitamins and minerals are found in the juice of the fruit, not in the skin or pulp. In addition, many people who would not consume certain vegetables in a salad or a meal readily accept liquefied or processed foods. However, the main difference between juices to lose weight and whole fruits or vegetables is what is left out of the process.
“The juices to lose weight do not contain any of the fibrous elements but only the liquid”.
In contrast, when you consume a whole fruit or vegetable, you also eat the fiber contained in the pulp and other parts of the food. Juices, in fact, do not contain fiber, and we have already analyzed the importance of fiber not only for proper digestion but also for weight loss. The fiber absorbs water and increases the volume of what is ingested, providing a greater sensation of satiety, leading to a lower consumption of food. That is to say that an orange or an apple provides a greater sensation of satiety than the juice of an orange or a smoothie of apples.
Diets of Juices to Lose Weight
As we said, juice is an easy way to incorporate nutrients without the work of eating whole fruits and vegetables. Many people consider that juices can help to lose weight, and the trends to diets of juices to lose weight are increasingly popular. It is believed that juices serve to detoxify the organism. In fact, the liver and kidneys can rid themselves of the toxins without needing help, in the framework of a balanced and healthy diet and physical exercise. In other cases, dietary or dietary supplements are added to the juices and this helps you lose weight. The juices significantly reduce the amount of calories; It is important because to lose weight you should consume more calories than you eat. A diet of juices to lose weight contributes approximately 600 – 1000 calories per day, which leads to a loss of weight in the short term. That is to say that the diets of juices to lose weight tend to be low in calories, but have the disadvantage that when you return to normal after the juice diet, you will recover part of the lost weight.
The caloric deficit can also affect the metabolism and lead to a reduction in muscle mass instead of burning fat, as the body acts to conserve fats instead of burning them to maintain calories. Diets based on juices to lose weight are an easy and quick way to lose weight, but they should only be done for a few days to avoid negative consequences for health.
How to Incorporate the Juices to Lose Weight in a Healthy Way
After reading all this … maybe you still think that the juices to lose weight are a good alternative! Actually there are many ways to incorporate juices to lose weight to a healthy diet.
- It prefers cold pressing juicers or chewing juicers, which crush or press fruits and vegetables more slowly to obtain more juice, instead of centrifugal juicers. The cold pressing exprimidores do not generate heat, reason why they do not cause the decomposition of enzymes or nutrients as it happens with the centrifuges. In addition, the cold pressing juicer maintains a greater amount of fiber from the vegetables.
- Consume the juices to lose weight as a complement to your daily diet, as a way to increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables.
- Remember that diets for juicing to lose weight are based on a severe caloric deficit for a rapid weight loss, but if you continue with that diet longer, it results in slowing metabolism and nutrient deficiencies.
- It replaces only one daily meal per juice to lose weight, maintaining a balanced diet. Replacing all foods with juices to lose weight can be unhealthy since the juices do not contain the necessary fats or proteins.
- Add supplements to the juice such as whey proteins, almonds or avocados to balance healthy fats and proteins.